Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Bowery Experience

I usually hate going to meet people in hotel lobbies and bars, but the Bowery, on Bowery and 3rd , is the exception. The lounge area is never too crowded, very comfortable, and I’ve never had a hard time claiming either a table or a soft, velvety couch. The art work, design and fire place give it a unique, intimate feel, making it an ideal location for a date. And if you get there early enough and it’s warm outside, you might be able to claim one of the tables out on the patio area. Or, if you are unsure of your date or not that into him or her and want a quick drink, you can just as easily grab a stool at the back bar, and politely excuse yourself when the alcohol starts to make your date seem more attractive than he or she truly is.

The downfall is that the drinks are a little pricey, but spending more than you should on a glass of imported, red wine will only impress your date more. Also, the place seems to attract “celebrity hunters,” as many of them stay in the Bowery when they come into town, as well as TFBs, or trust fund babies, who travel there in herds, usually on week nights, to spend money…just because they can.

I recently met a man there for a blind date, and even though he looked like Ichabod Crane with Graves disease, as his eyes were 4 inches away from his face, I decided to stay with hopes of a clever conversation. When he sat down, however, I kept staring at his spine, which was horrendously contorted so as to short him about 3 inches. He noticed and blurted, “Oh, I hurt my back when I fell off a horse while fox hunting in Ireland.”

I looked away, nodded, but was immediately reminded of two things. One, it’s never good to stare at someone’s imperfections and insecurities on a first date. I mean, I’m sure he was nervous the way it was, and there was me, staring at his osteoporotic –looking spine while thinking I’d absolutely break him. And two, good posture, or near- good posture, is important. It makes you look confident and more attractive, and even if you have to spend your days in physical therapy and popping calcium supplements to attain good posture, it might be worth it in the long run.

The date didn’t go so hot, as he wouldn’t stop talking about “fox hunting,” and banking. Nothing dries me up faster than listening to someone talk about hunting and money simultaneously. I finally shut him up by saying, “It’s not really fox hunting. All you do is chase the foxes. It should be called fox chasing then. The whole thing sounds stupid to me.”

If, however, the date went well, I would have grabbed his hand and ventured over to The Bowery Electric, less than a block away, for some dancing. It’s a fairly new, trendy rock and roll bar which plays great music and often books quality live bands too. Perhaps, next time!

Bowery Hotel - 335 Bowery., New York

Written by: Erin Stair - SpeedNY Dating Resident Blogger