Thursday, April 7, 2011

Victoria's Secret...On the first date?!?!

Most of us associate Victoria’s Secret apparel with something we’d wear on the third date. You know, something black or pink (or PINK) and lacy or sheer – something sexy. Before writing this blog post, I knew from stealing my roommate’s Victoria’s Secret catalogue that the company also sells clothing. But the website blew me away! The top of the homepage includes links to bras and panties (we knew that), sleepwear and lounge attire, clothing, shoes, swim, beauty, sales and specials, and PINK wear. This is a Victoria’s Secret like I’ve never seen it – I had no idea that they had so much inventory and selection!

The homepage and website as a whole is easy to navigate and set against a crisp, clean white background. The space on the page is well-designed and aesthetically pleasing. The homepage features sales, specials, and news, such as swimwear sales, free bonuses with purchase, and fall fashion previews. The bottom of the page includes a variety of relevant and helpful links, including “Check Order Status”, “Customer Service”, “Request a Catalogue”, “Find a Store Near You”, and “Angel Card”. The homepage itself matches the brand, and successfully straddles the line between sexy and pragmatic.

With Victoria’s Secret offering more than just third-date apparel, I wanted to find out what my user experience on the site and product variety would be if I wanted to find a cute top for a first or second date. I clicked on “clothing”, and was directed to a new page in which “Tops & Tees $14 & Up” was featured most prominently. In a sidebar, items were grouped into categories: Sexy Steals, Features, Destination Summer, Dresses, Tops & Tees, Shirts & Blouses, Sweaters, Pants, Yoga & Loungewear, Shorts, Denim, Skirts, Suit Separates, Jackets & Coats, and Handbags & Accessories. The sidebar remained present on each page of Women’s Clothing.I followed the “Tops & Tees” link, clicked on a babydoll tee, and used a size chart to determine the correct size for me. After that, I selected one of the many available colors, as well as the quantity, and added the shirt to my bag (adding to a wishlist was also an option). Following the add, I was given a suggested list of items “we think you’ll also love”.

All in all, I really enjoyed the Victoria’s Secret site. Its design was organic, well organized, easy to navigate, and subtly sexy throughout. I was impressed by the wide variety of merchandise (fifteen pages of tops & tees, and over twenty new styles of denim!). I believe it would be fun, easy, and overall enjoyable to select a first or second date outfit using the site, not to mention an outfit for the beach, a night out on the town, the perfect pumps, or a lip gloss for the perfect pout. Check out the site today, and soon you’ll be the sight to be seen!

Written by: Lauren Blackwell - SpeedUSA Resident Blogger